Is it possible to clean headlights with toothpaste? Well, it may sound weird for some people but the truth is that you can use toothpaste for other purposes than just cleaning your teeth. It can be used to clean the dirty and oxidized headlights of your car within a few minutes.
This seems to be a good enough idea for all of them who do not like to spend too many bucks on just cleaning the headlights. Not just toothpaste but a paste of vinegar and baking soda also works wonders in cleaning the car headlights in the foggy weather.
We will discuss more on how to clean the how to clean headlights with toothpaste and baking soda in this article below. Keep reading to know more.
Do you know? How to Keep Your Car from Smelling Like Smoke
How to Clean Car Headlights with Toothpaste
Here are the things you need to clean headlights with Toothpaste:
- Toothpaste of any kind
- Car wax
- Soft cloth
- Vinyl or plastic gloves if you have sensitive skin
- Glass cleaner
- Masking tape
- Sealant solution
- Soapy Water and clean water
- Firstly, start with rinsing both the headlights with the glass cleaner and then wipe off the excess dirt and mess with the soft cloth. This helps in cleaning the headlights better so that the toothpaste can work well on the same. You can also use soapy water for the same.
- When you seem to notice that your headlights are clean, dab them with the soft cloth until it becomes dry. It will absorb the leftover water droplets or moisture so that you don’t face any problem while cleaning it up with the toothpaste.
- After that use the masking tape to cover the side areas of the headlight so that you can prevent it from unnecessary scuffing. It is required because the gritty paste can harm the paint of the car if not covered well with the tapes.
- Next, you need to either squeeze the toothpaste directly into the headlight or you can take a blob in the cloth and polish the headlights. You should not take a huge amount at the very beginning, take a small quantity and thereon keep adding on to it as required.
- You need to scrub the headlight vigorously with the cloth or sponge to clean it properly. Move the cloth in circular motions and it would be easier for you to clean even the stubborn grime within a few seconds.
- After you are done scrubbing, turns the headlight with nozzles of water or apply clean water directly from the bucket to clean the toothpaste lather. Keep cleaning until you feel satisfied that every bit of toothpaste is cleaned well.
- When the cleaning procedure is entirely finished, pat it dry with a clean cloth and apply the sealant solution to the headlights which help in protecting them from harmful sunlight.
You can repeat this process every 2-4 months or when needed to keep the headlights clean and your vision clear during the night time!
How to Clean Headlights with Baking Soda
Here are the things you need to clean headlights with baking soda:
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- A tablespoon
- A cup
- Microfiber cloth
- First, you need to clean the headlights using plain water and soap. After cleaning, use the microfiber cloth to pat it dry and to make sure there is no piece of debris or grease left in the headlight so that you can clean it properly with baking soda.
- Next, you need to make a paste of baking soda and water. The paste must be thick and thus, the ratio of water to baking soda must be 1:3 and mixed in a way that it is not too dry also. Keep stirring the paste until you get a thick lather. When you attain the right thickness (similar to that of a toothpaste) add one tablespoon of kosher salt and keep stirring again.
- Take the paste into the microfiber cloth and rub it in the headlight into a circular motion. Keep rubbing it until the stubborn grease and dirt come out and the headlight seems to be cleaner than before. You can apply more paste if you feel there is a need.
- When the cleaning is done, use a wet microfiber cloth to remove the remaining baking soda paste from the headlight so that it comes off entirely. Take proper care of the lights so that it does not get harmed. If you feel you cannot clean the paste entirely with the cloth, you can use water spray to clean it until it is gone entirely.
Repeat this process once a while to keep your headlights clean for the maximum period and to have a clear vision on the road.
What is the Other Best Way to Clean Car Headlights?
You can also clean your car headlights using vinegar. Know how to how to clean headlights with vinegar below:
- Make a paste of vinegar and baking soda with the ratio of 1:3 and apply it on the car headlights using a cloth or wet scrubber.
- Keep rubbing the paste on the headlights until it becomes cleaner.
- Then rinse off the paste with clean water and pat it dry with the help of a clean cloth.
- It is very easy when you know how to clean foggy headlights with vinegar and baking soda.
Apart from these methods, if you want to get easy cleaning of your car headlights using readymade kits, then there are several headlight restoration kits available in the market which you can buy and clean your car headlights without any hindrance. But homely methods are always reliable and pocket-friendly at the same time.
The Final Take
If you find out that your car headlight is not bright enough or you cannot see anything clearly when you go out at night, then you must understand that it is time to either get your headlights replaced or get them cleaned.
During this time you only have the option to google and find out the best way to clean car headlights using simple methods. And the most common method that points out is cleaning your car headlight with baking soda and toothpaste.
It is a simple method as it does not require you to spend a lot of money on the process. You can clean car headlights with the toothpaste of any kind that is available at your home and baking soda is also not much expensive.
Thus, the next time you feel like you need to increase the brightness of your car headlights or you are facing a problem to see things at night then do not delay in cleaning your car headlights by following the procedure mentioned above!
You might also like to know:
- How Long Can You Leave a Car Without Starting It?
- 12 Most Essential Tips for First-Time Car Buyers
- How Long Can a Car Go without an Oil Change? 100% Facts